Bettws-y-Coed in north Wales, at the junction of the rivers Conway, Llugwy and Lledr, is the place most associated with Cox's later career, and one for which he had deep affection. He first visited Bettws in June 1844, revisiting every subsequent summer until 1856. The rugged variety of the landscape around the village provided an inexhaustible source of subject matter: as he wrote to his son, David Junior, 'there is no end of the fine river scenery and rocks and mountains'.
373mm x 553mm
Charcoal and watercolour on Scotch paper.
Presented by subscription, 1907.
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery